Monday, February 1, 2010

Beignets aux Pommes/ Apple Fritters

Apple Beignets


Doesn't the title sound all fancy-like? I love how calling these fritters 'beignets aux pommes' classes it up. I must start learning French again, it's such a sexy language. Anyway, about these beignets. I had some apples at home, and was looking for something to do with them. It's amazing how many apple recipes involve a pastry in some form or another. I just didn't want that. I only found baked stuffed apples, and these. Any other ideas you have for baking with apples, without a pastry element?


I was really skeptical about these, and would have gone with the stuffed apples, if not for Mom, who remembers eating these in Belguim, and loving it. I decided I would then make these for her, since, well, Belguim was 15 years ago, so there must have been something special about these that made her remember these after all this time!!


I scoured for recipes, many of them involved the addition of yeast in some form of the other, and, umm, yeast just terrifies me. I decided to opt out, and adapted from a mix of various recipes, mainly using Le Cordon Bleu's recipe I found on Shari's site. And they were AH-MA-ZING, Don't be afraid of the frying part, it's easy, and we fry a lot of stuff here in India, so frying things is something I've grown up doing. The firrm, slightly crunchy apples paired with the soft while still crispy texture of the batter on top just make my heart flutter. It is one of those combinations that must go down in food history for out future generations!!


Apple Beignets
Slightly adapted from  Le Cordon Bleu at Home
Buy from flipkart.com


For the apples -
5 medium apples - I used Granny's as well as Red Delicious, suggest you use any red apple.
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon


For the batter -
1 cup [120 g] flour
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup beer - don't worry, none of the taste comes through, and it is essential
1/4 cup milk
3 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar


For dusting -
1/4 cup castor/powdered sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon


Instructions -
  1. Peel and core the apples. Slice them into 1/2 inch rounds. This step is the most tedious, and the one that stops me from making these everyday.
  2. Lay them out on a plate, and sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on them.
  3. Leave them to macerate, covered, for atleast an hour.
  4. Macerating Apples
  5. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and sugar.
  6. Add the milk and melted butter, mix, and then add the beer.
  7. Let this batter rest for about half an hour.
  8. Batter Resting batter
  9. Just before you are ready to fry the apples, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold them into the batter.
  10. Heat the oil [about 3 cups] and begin coating the apples with the batter. I find it easiest to do by hand, it gets messy, but it gives the best results. Thinly coat the apples and fry them until golden brown.
  11. Once all the rounds are fried, combine the sugar and cinnamon, and dust over the tops, generously. Serve immediately, with a side of ice cream.


Try these, and ofcourse, do let me know what you think of them


P.S - Happy Birthday, Mom!! :D

10 comments:

  1. I love apple fritters. Unfortunately, part of the recipe was covered by an ad and I could not get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look good to me, they do! Haven't been to Belgium, but sure would like some!! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I love apples and I love fritters! And hehe yes putting the French name makes it sound so fancy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good!I would love to have a bite of it! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy B-day to your mom! These look like they were a great gift!

    You know the apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon sugar look good just like that too!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! those look fantstic! I really would like to try them... I love apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simran - They were!!

    Comfycook - Glad it's resolved now!

    Deeba - They got her mark of approval, so it's all good :P

    Lorraine - :) Atleast we can sound fancy to ourselves :P

    Ria - Thanks!!

    Ingrid - Ha! That's just because you don't want to do the extra work :P

    Teanna - So did you finally make them?

    Jacque - What's stopping you? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Avankia...

    You could try apple crumble? Great served with custard!

    Or an apple cake...

    Or this apple crisp recipe http://video.about.com/busycooks/apple-crisp.htm - about.com is AMAZING!

    I make an apple-sponge type thing... But as I'm only a budding blogger... I've not made, photographed or posted it yet... But it's basically the same as crumble only with sponge topping.

    You can probs google the rest! :)

    PS I love, LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails