Monday, April 26, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Muffins... I am a graduate, baby!!

Cinnamon Raisin Muffins

That's right! I've graduated. Woohoo.. This calls for a celebration, doesn't it. I shall soon bake something to celebrate, considering exams have finished just yesterday, haven't really had the time yet!!

It was 3 LONG years, but I've finally got through it all!! Now I'm free.. atleast until I decide what to do next.. I might do a Masters course, or maybe go my dream way and go to culinary school. I've been spending my time researching into the various options, and the pros and cons! Help would be much appreciated!

A few days before my exams began, I was experiencing an Intense craving to bake something, it's one of my best stress-busters!! I wanted to make something quick, easy, and something I could happily munch on without feeling too guilty, since I've quit working out for so long.

I didn't want to come online, I knew I would stay here for hours and hours. So I opened my most trusted book, Leith's Baking Bible and settled on these hearty muffins. They were healthy, oaty, and perfect breakfast food, but the most important thing was, they did not taste healthy, I hate those anyway. And these muffins were gobbled up like nobody's business. I was surprised to see a whole panful of them be eaten up, in less than a day. It may seem normal to you, but everyone's watching their weights in my home, so control is the mantra!

Cinnamon Raisin Muffins collage

Cinnamon Raisin Muffins
Adapted from Leith's Baking Bible
Makes 12


For the muffins -

1 stick [113 g, 4 oz] butter, melted
150 ml [5 fl. oz, 2/3 cup] milk
2 eggs
115 g [4 oz, 1/2 cup] light brown sugar
2 tbsp caster sugar
125 g [4 1/2 oz, 1 cup] self raising flour - I used the usual substitute of 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda
125 g [4 1/2 oz, 1 cup] wholemeal plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
30 g [1 oz, 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp] rolled oats
170 g [6 oz, 1 cup] raisins

For the topping -

4 tbsp oats
1 1/2 tbsp flour
30 g butter, melted
1 tbsp brown sugar

Instructions-
  1. Preheat oven to 190 C [375 F]. Grease and line a muffin tin.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, milk, eggs and sugars. Be sure to let the butter come down to room temperature, you don't want to cook the eggs!
  3. In a small bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in the oats.
  4. Add the wet ingredients, making sure not to overmix. This is the single most important secret to baking soft fluffy muffins.
  5. Fold in the raisins, gently, and pour into the pans.
  6. Now for the topping, mix together the melted butter, oats, flour, and sugar. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
  7. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
These were the perfect guilt-free, delicious breakfast muffins. I also turned them into a dessert by eating them with ice-cream. Yumm!!

37 comments:

  1. I am going to have to add this recipe to my to be baked list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! very well done! these muffins look so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey congrats and all the best for a wonderful future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan - :D Be sure to let me know when you make it :)

    Natalie - Thanks so much!!!

    Future Grown Up - I like your name! Thank you! <3

    Madhuli - Thank you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on graduating! What a wonderful way to celebrate it too! :D I can sense how happy you are and rightly so! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Congratulations! What kind of degree did you get? I say if your passion is food, go culinary! You'd be a great pastry chef!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Avanika! What gorgeous muffins to celebrate the with♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations N the muffins look great .. what a way to celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katiecakes - Thank you!

    Lorraine - I am happy beyond belief!! But as I mentioned in my post, I made these before my exams, a celebratory dessert is yet to be made, once I can decide!!

    Katrina - Aww! I wish I could. I'm just considering my options at the moment, I got a management degree.

    Valerie, Deesha - Thank you. As I mentioned above, I did not celebrate with these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many congratualtions on graduating! Its a wonderful feeling. these muffins look the perfect way to celebrate. I have this book too but not tried the muffins - will have to now, they look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you! How exciting to be DONE! At least until you start the next journey :) These muffins look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!!! The muffins sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHOOOHOOO! Congrats! Welcome to the 'real' world! :) Those muffins look celebratory indeed, with their glorious crowning of topping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! The muffins look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!!

    Unfortunately, I'm still in the midst of papers and exams...so I'll have to put these scrumptious looking muffins off for now. But they do look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Avanika,

    Congratulations on your graduation and wishing you all the best!!! Your muffins look damn good. Can't wait to see what's coming up next :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the graduation!

    Those muffins look marvelous! I am a sucker for cinnamon...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! Must be exciting time now. I wish you all success in your undertakings. These are beautiful muffins that you made. I wish I can have one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your graduation, that must feel so great!!!! Those muffins look so yummy!!! Great blog, all of your baking looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie - It's a great book!! Do try it!

    Amanda - I've still got to decide what my next journey will be. Thanks <3

    anda - Thanks. They were scrumptious!!

    Vicky - Hahah I like your enthusiasm! Thanks :D

    Anncoo - Thank you. They were :)

    Nachiketa - Thanks soo much!

    Barefoot Belle - I made them a day before exams, and they made me feel way better. You should try it as well!!

    M D - Thank you so much!

    Rosa - Then you would love these!

    MaryMoh - Thanks! It means a lot :)

    todayslady - It really does!! Thanks a lot, do stick around!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats!I really like your nice blog. I saw your comment at Joy the Baker. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your graduation :-) And the muffin sure looks delicious...love it with lots of cinnamon. Nice pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Avanika,

    Thank You for entering the Bake Up Summer Sweets Contest. I hope you are given the opportunity to own a new KitchenAid mixer so you can whip up your mango lassi recipe with ease.
    Thank You and Good Luck!
    The Beso Team
    http://www.beso.com/style-director-contest/bake-up-summer-sweets

    ReplyDelete
  24. Uh, oh, there goes the diet, LOL.

    Those do look work indulging in though. Nice job and congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello there! I stumbled upon your blog pretty recently and it's in my bookmarks folder now! The muffins looks sooooo great Ima try it out during the weekends! And congrats on your graduation :>

    Cherine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Avanika.... Great looking muffin... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on graduating!! These muffins look like a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these look yummy + congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Congrats!, the topping on these muffins looks sooo good, makes you want to grab some fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulation! This is fabulous muffins to celebrate such a wonderful occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! These sound fantastic and perfect for breakfast. And I say go for culinary school while life is still relatively uncomplicated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats! Which ever path you chose I wish you much success and happiness! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats...first time in ur blog..simple cool desserts..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tonya - Welcome to my blog. Thanks :)

    Juliana - Thank you so much!

    Jacque - These aren't really that fattening, especially if you do away with the crumb. They are almost healthy!!

    thisbigcheese - Thanks! Be sure to stop by and tell me how you liked it!

    Jannett - Thank you!

    Deborah - Thanks :) I feel free :D

    Malia - Thank you so much <3

    Bindiya - Lol, it made my family do the exact thing. These were gone soo fast, I'm lucky I managed any pictures at all!!

    Ellie - Thank you! I still didn't use these to celebrate, however!

    Shauna - Uncomplicated? My life? HA! I still hope to go, though!!

    Ingrid - Thanks so much. I hope to be able to update with my decision soon :)

    Priya - Welcome here. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails