I've heard soo many good things about Dulce De Leche [DDL], but was always intimidated making it because of the exploding cans possibility. And since we don't get readymade DDL here, I had never even tried it.
Then one day, when I was feeling particularly reckless, with the 'so what if it explodes, I'll only be in the hospital for a while' thought in me, I decided to go for it. I looked around for a recipe that uses DDL as one of its main ingredients, and came across the Banoffee pie. Perfect!!
I first went and made 2 cans of DDL, and faced my fears. Thank god I did! It was soo worth it. I urge everyone else to try it out as well, there's nothing to worry about as long as you keep topping the pan up with water! I now always have atleast one can of DDL ready, and I eat it right off a spoon on most occasions! :)
The pie was delicious, it really highlighted the flavor of the DDL, and it's combination with the bananas was perfect! Next time, I'll just reduce the amount of whipped cream I put on top, since it made the pie VERY rich!
I didn't really follow a recipe for this, but here it is anyway -
Recipe by Avanika
1 graham cracker crust [store bought, or homemade]
2 cans Dulce De Leche - homemade or store-bought
1 cup whipped cream - vary this as per your taste. You could even omit this if you want.
A few tablespoons cocoa powder, for dusting on top.
I'm providing a recipe for a homemade graham cracker crust, for those of you going the homemade way -
1 1/2 cup [About 24] processed graham crackers - I used digestive biscuits.
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder - optional, but I still urge you to add it.
3/4 stick [85 g /6 tbsp] butter, melted
- Grease an 8 inch pie plate. Preheat oven to 180 C [350 F]
- Combine the ground biscuits, sugar, salt, cinnamon in a bowl, and mix thouroughly.
- Add the melted butter, then line the pie-plate liberally.
- Bake for 10 minutes, cool on a rack.
For the pie -
- Pour both the cans of dulce de leche on the cooled pie crust. If you made homemade DDL, make sure to let it cool completely.
- Slice the bananas, and line on top of the DDL.
- Now add the whipped cream on top, using a spatula. Smoothen it out, and dust with cocoa powder for the traditional look.
- Slice, and serve. Refrigerate the rest.
Do try this, and let me know how you like it. Doesn't it look totally sinful?