Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lychee Mango Panna Cotta

Lychee Mango Panna Cotta


With this blog, I've started to branch out on what I make much more, and try to steer away from making chocolate all the time, or cookies, or brownies. That's why I tried this panna cotta. I'd seen it around a lot, and the words used to describe it always intrigued me. Sweet, custardy, silky cream. Yum! And a big plus, it was one of the easiest desserts I'd ever made. It was so fast and easy. I used fresh lychees, which have been in season for a while now, and while I'd been gorging on them as is for a long time, I really wanted to use them in a dessert.

I added a top layer of mango, partly because of presentation, and partly because I wanted to incorporate my favorite fruit in this dessert too. I used straight up puree [aamras], but a mango jelly would complement the textures very well too, and would look extremely presentable!! The panna cotta was delicious as is too, so you can keep this layer out if you want.

I used fresh lychees, you can use canned too, in fact if you want something really quick, I would suggest it, since peeling and seeding all those lychees takes a while. I sat down with a movie to peel them, and the movie was almost at its end by the time I finished!

Peeling a lychee

Lychee Mango Panna Cotta
Makes 6-8 glasses

For the lychee panna cotta -

1 1/2 cup [420 g] fresh cream - I used 26%
3/4 cup [220 g] milk
1/2 cup [130 g] sugar
1 1/4 cup [350 g] lychee puree, strained [About 3 dozen lychees] - Do not forget to strain, or you'll be left with ugly bits that will completely spoil the texture.
3 tsp powdered gelatin, in 2 tbsp hot water


Instructions -
  1. In a large saucpan, mix together the cream, milk and sugar, bring to a boil. Keep on heat until the sugar dissolves. Take off the heat.
  2. The gelatin granules should be completely dissolved, or else you can heat the mixture until it does. Then, add it to the cream mixture, and stir well.
  3. Add in the strained lychee puree, mix well to incorporate. Let it sit out for a few minutes to come to room temperature, and then pour into serving glasses. Refrigerate for abour 3 hours.

For the mango jelly

1 cup mango puree, strained
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp powdered gelatin in 2 tbsp hot water.

Instructions -
  1. Heat together the strained puree and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
  2. Add in the completely dissolved gelatin, and mix well.
  3. Allow to cool to room temperature, and top off the serving glasses. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Serve.
 Lychees

16 comments:

  1. Wow the combination of lychee and mango sounds so perfect and so delicious!!! Sadly , lychee actually give me nose bleeds! 5 of those fruits and i'm busted. :P

    This panna cotta flavor would totally taste awesome in a mango lychee lassi too wouldn't it!!?? :) hehhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Avanika. I enjoyed checking out your site (thanks again for visiting mine!). The colours in the photo are spectacular!! Well-done. I like many of your baking inspirations, too.

    Stay in touch,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, i would love to try this! i love both lychees and mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have purchased lychees recently, but they definitely do not look as good as yours! Lychees and mangoes are my favourite tropical fruit! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very good and I like the combination of mango and lychee-very tropical! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be hard to take a break from chocolate, but I'm sure it's much easier when you're making something as refeshing as this! What a perfect treat on a hot summer day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lychee and this sounds like the perfect refreshing treat in this hot weather :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, two of my favorite fruits! I don't eat lychees much but whenever I do, I'm like, this is delicious, I should eat these all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie - It's one of the better fruits I've had, try looking for it around you!

    Nithya - Thank you :)

    Michelle - Wow, I don't envy you. A lassi would be perfect, it should taste pretty similar!

    Dan - Thanks so much <3

    Jaime - Then what's stopping you? :P

    Cakebrain - Don't you love them? They are local to here, so we get really great ones!

    Lorraine - Thanks :)

    Valerie - You have no idea! I need my chocolate :P

    Xialou - It was perfect for summer! Luckily, no more hot weather for us!

    Liz - Me too! They are way too under appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and sounds good! :) I've never had lychees before but have recently seen them in the grocery store. I've been tempted to buy some and see what's what.

    Btw, I appreciate the non-chocolate posts once in a while, hee-hee!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lychees look awesome. All I've ever seen here in the States is canned lychee, but I've never tried them. Great looking dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two of my favorite fruits! A delightful panna cotta.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a nice flavour combination to go with panna cotta!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ingrid - Oh you would!! Lol.. go out and taste them, they taste really nice!

    Katrina - Thanks so much :) Makes me glad to know of something you lucky guys crave from here :P

    Rosa - Thank you!

    Kevin - It really is! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails