The other day, I was craving homemade, simple cookies.
And here's what I made -
Anything but simple, right. I'm a Gemini, I'm allowed to be indecisive!!
What are they? They're chocolate chip hazelnut cookies, that I stuffed with a Nutella Truffle, and just because I was feeling reckless, added one on top too. Yeah, just in case you're wondering, I do yoga 5 days a week!
The outside -
The inside- Double Truffle cookies, that are way over the top, but so fun!
Making the truffles - One of the most glorious sights on earth!!
The slightly melted truffles being formed, can just be dropped into a bowl of cocoa powder and coated to form a ball.
Forming the cookie
Covering the truffle. Close it up properly, or some of the deliciousness might come out in the oven.
Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Truffle Cookies
Adapted from the amazing Katrina
For the cookies -
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp [140g / 1 stick + 2 tbsp] butter
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp [135 g] granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp [120 g] light brown sugar
1 tsp vanila
2 cups [240 g] flour
1/2 + 1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp coarse salt - I forgot to add.
10 oz chocolate chips / chopped chocolate - I always use a mix of the two for varied texture.
1/2 cup [90 g] toasted hazelnuts, chopped
For the Nutella truffles -
3 oz good quality dark chocolate - Don't use baking chocolate, it won't melt as well
6 tbsp [110 g] Nutella
- Make the truffles first. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a microwave. Once melted, take off the heat, and mix in the Nutella. Refrigerate for about an hour.
- In the meanwhile, begin making the cookie dough. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder.
- Mix this mixture into the butter sugar mixture, until incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Once the Nutella mixture is cooled enough, form into rough balls rolled in cooca powder as best as you can, without working them too much or they will melt. If they melt too much, just drop them into the cocoa powder in dollops, and then coat them using the cocoa, as you can see I did in the picture. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- To form the cookies - just stuff a Nutella truffle into the cookie, and bake for about 12 - 14 minutes in a 350 F [180 C] oven. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to the cooling rack, these cookies are a little delicate when hot because of the stuffing.
- Reheat in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds before eating to melt again.