Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake

Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake


You know what? I'm not even going to try and tell you about this cake, because words really can't describe how good it is! A quick look at the flavors, and the fact that it's from the guys at Baked NYC should really be enough. This cake is going to be the sole reason I'm going to gain back all my lost weight, because I already want to make it again!


In other news, I'm almost done recovering, and can now resume eating better food! Yayyy! Travelling too much is still a no though. Oh, and I'm looking for some recommendations on cakes that are not chocolate filled with chocolate and topped with chocolate. Shocking I know, but I want to try some other flavors. Your tried and tested recipes would be the best way to start, right? ♥


Salted Caramel filling


Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake
Inspired by Baked  [India] [one of my most favorite books ever!!] 
Note : I did not use their recipe for the chocolate cake, only used their filling and frosting [which, face it, are the parts that matter anyway], since I already had a few layers of my favorite chocolate cake baked up, recipe below. It's a favorite of many bloggers! If you want to try this with their cake recipe, just google 'sweet and salty cake' and you'll find millions of links to it! 

Double Chocolate Layer Cake - Adapted from Epicurious [I've made a few changes over time, so the recipe looks a little different]
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped [I use a combination of bittersweet and semi-sweet]
1 1/2 cup [120 g] cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup hot brewed strong coffee
1 stick [4 oz / 113 g] unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup [340 g] granulated sugar
1 cup [220 g] light brown sugar
2 3/4 cup [350 g] cake flour
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup [165 g] oil
1 1/2 cup [360 g] sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract


Instructions -
  1. Preheat oven to 300 F [150 C]. Grease and line two 10 inch, or 3 8 inch cake pans.
  2. Over low heat, stir together the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, coffee and butter until everything melts and a nice thick paste is formed. Set aside to cool.
  3. In a medium bowl, sift together the sugars, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs till slightly thickened and lightened in color. Whisk in the oil, sour cream and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate mixture, mix well. Add in the flour mixture, mixing till just combined.
  5. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean, and the top feels springy to touch. It's alright if the top feels slightly sticky, it's still baked through, that's just how the cake is. Cool on wire rack. Since this cake is very soft, I recommend freezing the cake layers before using! It always makes for easier cake assembly.


For the salted caramel filling -
You probably end up using around 3/4 of this filling, but don't reduce the recipe, trust me. It'll finish in no time :)


1 cup [220 g] sugar
2 tbsp [20 g] light corn syrup
1/2 cup [130 g] heavy cream
1 tsp fleur de sel
1/4 cup [60 g] sour cream


Instructions -
  1. Combine 1/4 cup water, the sugar and the corn syrup in a medium saucepan, stir to combine. Boil on high heat till the mixture reaches 350 degrees on a candy thermometer. If you don't have one, just cook till it's amber colored, about 8-10 minutes.
  2. In the meanwhile, heat together the cream and fleur de sel till it dissolves. Don't let the cream boil. Add it to the caramel once the caramel mixture is ready. Whisk it together. Whisk in the sour cream. Allow to cool to room temp.
  3. You can use this immediately, or refrigerate upto 3 days before using.
For the whipped caramel ganache -


1 pound dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup [220 g] sugar
2 tbsp [20 g] light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups [390 g] heavy cream
4 sticks [1 pound / 452 g] butter, cut into tbsp sized pieces, slightly softened


Instructions -
  1. This portion is the same as the caramel filling, so you ualready have a base to judge on :)
  2. Combine 1/4 cup water, the sugar and the corn syrup in a medium saucepan, stir to combine. Boil on high heat till the mixture reaches 350 degrees on a candy thermometer. If you don't have one, just cook till it's amber colored, about 8-10 minutes.
  3. In the meanwhile, heat the cream, without letting it boil. Add it to the caramel once the caramel mixture is ready. Whisk it together. Let cool for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the chopped chocolate to the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate, letting it sit for about a minute before mixing till the chocolate has completely melted.
  5. Now fit the micture with a paddle attachment, and beat the mixture on low till the bowl feels cool to the touch. Add the butter and increase speed to medium high till it's well incorporated, thickened and whipped, about 2-3 minutes. Let cool slightly before using, to make it easier.


Assembling the cake -
  1. Slice the cake layers into 2 using a serrated knife or a cake slicer. I made a 3 layer cake, but you could make it a 4 layer cake as well, in fact, the salted caramel filling would be the perfect amount for a 4 layer cake.
  2. Also slice off the tops of the cake. Lay down one sliced layer on a cake board, and add about 1/3rd of the filling. It will seem like it's too little, but it has so much flavor that the amount is perfect. Spread to the edges. You'll notice that some of it gets absorbed into the cake, that's supposed to happen!
  3. Lay on the next layer, add another 1/3rd of the filling, and lay on the last layer. Save the bottom half of a sliced layer for the top, and lay it on inverted so that you have a flat top.
  4. Now put on a light layer of the ganache, just to seal in the crumbs, called a crumb coat. Refrigerate for 5 minutes, then lay on the rest of the ganache and frost as desired [I used a cake comb, it's a lazy decorators best friend!]. Serve immediately. If you must refrigerate, reheat the cake for 10-20 seconds in the microwave, there's nothing worse than cold cake!!






    34 comments:

    1. Beautiful photographs. I am craving for a slice of chocolate cake now.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow oh wow that looks so delicious, dangerously delicious! I'm not even a big fan of caramel but it looks too good to resist. I can almost taste it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh boy.. I know hubby would go crazy for those. I love how rich it looks. What a wonderful treat.

      Have a great weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    4. A cake comb! Genius! I was totally wondering how you did that. I thought, man, she must have really steady hands :)

      PS: That salted caramel looks gorgeous!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Mmm this looks so luscious and amazing! Reminds me of the cake I made over Thanksgiving. Chocolate and caramel are a heavenly pairing!

      ReplyDelete
    6. The first pic is mind blowing Avanika...absolut sin!btw where did u manage the sour cream here??or did u substitute??deliciousnesssss

      ReplyDelete
    7. wow......wen we baking dis one???

      ReplyDelete
    8. Huge fan of salted caramel. I recently did a salted caramel brownie but this sounds amazing. Going to have to try it. Love your blog.

      ReplyDelete
    9. That cake looks super moist and with the caramel...oh so delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    10. That looks unbelievable. I guess I'll be gaining weight right with you.

      There are so many cakes to choose from. Which will you make next? I suppose you could always try the carrot cake or the coconut cake I posted about :) before.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Ellie - You liked the pictures? Yay!!

      Katie - Not a fan of caramel?? Humph!

      Faith - It tastes richer :P

      Natalie - Haha, thanks!

      Lawyer Loves Lunch - Aw if I'd have known earlier, I would have tried and passed it off as skill :P

      oneordinaryday - It was!

      Xiaolu - Oh yeah I remember that one!!

      bindiya - Thanks!! I made my own, but yoghurt is a great substitute

      Asad - Lol, we'll fix a time!

      Tracy - Thank you!

      Delishh - Ohh that brownie. I have it bookmarked to make. Soon!

      Kristen - Thanks!

      Katrina - It was heaven!

      Irina - Hehe we should begin a let's get fat together support group. We'll get desserts to each meeting :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Holy smokes! that looks uber-decadent! I was wanting to make that one and have ear-marked it in my cookbook. I'm glad you were happy with the results! What a great way to gain back any of your lost weight! I'm happy you're feeling better. So you're expanding beyond chocolate? I do love chocolate the best, but vanilla bean is a close second. Do you like Condensed Milk Pound Cake? I have been thinking about making that one again for a while...with real vanilla pods.

      ReplyDelete
    13. chocolate + salted caramel = bliss. pure bliss.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Photos are outstanding...the cake looks delicious.. :o)

      ReplyDelete
    15. Oh my goodness.. its my fiances birthday this week and I was going to make him a chocolate and caramel cake, now I think I'm going to have to try this ganache! I sounds too good to be true!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Cakebrain - What have you been waiting for?? I've never tried it, but I know to look on your blog for vanilla-y stuff :)

      jenbryson - Oh for sure!

      Jannett - Aw thanks!!

      Evan - You really have to. He'll be delighted :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. hey avanika! thats one amazing looking cake. it looks so professional. i hope you seriously consider opening your own bakery or something.
      how does one make sour cream?
      much love,
      p

      ReplyDelete
    18. This is absolutely stunning. I am bookmarking it to make them soon.

      ReplyDelete
    19. I cannot wait to try this cake. It looks absolutely sinful!

      I love how in the first photo you included the entire cake in the background. I love when the background of the photo has something nice to look at too.

      ReplyDelete
    20. P - Aww you're the sweetest. I used hung yoghurt instead! You can make sour cream though, mail me and I'll explain it to you if you want.

      SinFoodie - Oh you'll love it!

      The Epicreous Two - Thanks so much. I don't bother too much with the photography, so getting complimented for it feels awesome :D

      ReplyDelete
    21. This looks absolute heaven! I've made recently chocolate macarons with salted butter caramel and though that salted caramel would go great with chocolate cake... I'm definitely putting this on the to do list ;)

      ReplyDelete
    22. oh my goodness, that looks sinfully delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    23. Looks delicious! My top 2 non-chocolate cake recos are Carrot Cake and Lemon Olive Oil Cake with a Lemon Rosemary Glaze. Heavenly...

      ReplyDelete
    24. Gourmatine - Ahh macarons have been on my to-bake list since forever. They'd look awesome on the sides of this cake!

      Megan - Tastes that way too ;)

      Pavithra - Thank you!

      Feast on the Cheap - The second cake sounds awesome. Got a recipe?

      ReplyDelete
    25. That looks LUSCIOUS and almost too good to be true Av!! YUM!!

      ReplyDelete
    26. That looks so moist and chocolaty and decadently good! Pass me a slice! :)

      ReplyDelete
    27. Haha, I love how this is tagged under 'yumilicious' :D I love salted caramel too, I made a tart with chocolate and salted caramel and it was amazing! I like the swirly circles that you've done on top of the cake too :)

      ReplyDelete
    28. Deeba - Hahha. It was really amazing! I'm craving it too.

      Kevin - Gladly. Come over ;)

      Xinmei - Choc and salted caramel is possibly the best combination ever!

      ReplyDelete
    29. Hi Avanika ... Love your blog and love that you are so passionate about baking. I too live in Mumbai and am not able to find sour cream. Please email me how to make sour cream at peacedsouza@gmail.com

      Thanks in advance
      Peace

      ReplyDelete

    Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

    Related Posts with Thumbnails