Strawberries, blackberries, mulberries, I love them all! Unfortunately, the one berry I hadn't tasted yet was blueberries!! And hearing how everyone was always raving about them only intensified the need!! Well, guess what? I finally tasted fresh ones after years and years of longing! After last week's post about the awesome stuff my parents got me, the one thing I failed to show were blueberries! And boy, was I surprised! They were even better than I imagined. So luscious, so ripe, so.... just WOW! I would have eaten them all up, but I just had to make something with them too, it would be a waste if I didn't! It's going to be a long while before I get my hands on any fresh ones again, and there was this particular recipe I've had my eye on since forever! The name itself is enticing!
And thank god I did! The muffins were soo good! Velvety satiny perfection! I wasn't a huge fan of the crumb topping that was a part of the recipe, that I tried since the recipe was so well reviewed! I'm also giving my favorite crumb topping recipe below, I'd suggest you try it with that instead, though you can always try the original one too. I'd love to hear what you prefer with it.
To Die For Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from allrecipes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the crumb topping [the one on the muffins]
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed [I used about 1/2, it wouldn't hold other
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the streusel topping I usually use, and would prefer with these:
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans [I usually use walnuts]
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the muffins :
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup.
- Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- Mix together sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon.
- Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
For the streusel topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans.
- Using a fork, cut in butter until well combined and mixture begins to hold together a bit.
I loved these muffins. I'm going to use the muffin recipe as a base for other fruits too, it was perfect!! Trust me, try these NOW! They deserve the YUMSILICIOUS title!!