Sunday, May 10, 2009

Healthy Banana Oat Bread for Mother's Day

Banana Oat Bread

First off, happy mother's day to all the mothers out there. I have been blessed in that I have not one, but two mothers, i.e. my grandmother. She's the sweetest soul there is, and yesterday I thought of baking something they would both like. My mom is tired of all the rich, decadent, fattening things I keep baking. My grandmom, on the other hand, loves them [actually anything I make], but the has the tiniest appetite EVER! If I were to give her something of the sort I usually bake, it would stay in her home for weeks!
So as a kind of balance, I chose a healthy banana bread. My favorite chocolate chip cookies use a minuscule amount of oats as an ingredient, so as a result I always have a LOT of it at home, going to waste. Since this recipe used oats, that was a big plus, and it would satisfy my mom, who's always nagging me to use them up.

Healthy Banana Oat Bread
Adapted from All recipes.
Makes 2 mini-loaf tins

1 cup sugar
7 tbsp oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup bananas [about 2 large]
1 cup oats
1/2 c milk [can use skim]
2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Picnik collage

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat well at medium speed of a mixer. Combine banana, oats, and milk; add to sugar mixture, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add to sugar mixture; beat just until moist. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.

Picnik collage 2

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

The bread was yummy, it didn't taste healthy at all :). It had a nice texture, soft, but nor crumbly, and would be a perfect accompaniment with tea/coffee. Or you can eat it in my favourite way, slightly toasted, and then used as a sandwich with nutella and more bananas :) Yumm.. Try it, you'll love it too.

Update : This is best eaten after a day. Right after baking, it seemed a little dry, something that I couldn't eat without something to go along with it. The bread moistens, I think that's because of the oats, but I can't be sure. It tasted sooo good the next day, even I could eat it plain, and I usually keep away from things that aren't rich, buttery or chocolatey :)


Picnik collage 3

4 comments:

  1. Banana bread is one of my favorite things and you totally kicked it up a notch with the Nutella and sliced bananas on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the family likes to eat plain, but I can't do without my dose of fattening, so I eat it this way. You can totally do this with peanut butter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, banana bread sandwiches sound wonderful. I never thought of that.

    Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails